Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Experimenting with Matcha

Green Tea-ramisu



This recipe is from The Scent of Green Bananas. I did not have the right serving plate for this, so I made 4 individual servings in cups as well as a bigger dessert in a pie pan. In retrospect, I think that I should have made the tea stronger. I have preciously little matcha left now. As soon as I receive my new stock, I'll try again with more layers and stronger matcha flavor.

Matcha Sherbet




I did not really mean to make a sherbet. I wanted to make green tea ice cream. But when, for some unknown reason, our ice cream machine did not cooperate and failed to freeze properly, I had to put the slightly thickened ice cream mixture in the freezer. I stirred it twice in the following couple of hours. What we ended up with was a matcha sherbet; tasty yes, but still leaving us wanting for that smooth ice cream experience. If I can make good matcha ice cream next time, I will put it into individual serving plates, cover with Italian meringue and fire with my kitchen torch. I am hoping to please Zeynep with this, because I think it will remind her of the tempura ice cream they serve in Japanese restaurants--her very favorite dessert.